December Grand Rounds – Managing Practitioner Health Issues
December 7, 2021 - 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (ET)
Practitioner health is one of the most difficult issues that Medical Staff and Hospital leaders face. It is a balancing act as leaders find themselves, first and foremost, trying to protect patients, complying with laws that protect those with disabilities, and provide a process that is fair to the practitioner. Join us for December’s installment of Grand Rounds where we will provide you with the tools to assist you in implementing a process that addresses health issues in a non‑punitive, remedial manner that protects patients. Some of the topics to be covered, along with others, are:
- Defining the scope of the problem – What is a health issue?
- Dealing with immediate threats to patient safety.
- Tips for conducting a successful meeting with a practitioner to discuss health issues.
- Health Assessments – When are they needed?
- Implementing interim safeguards – What are they and when are they needed?
- Defining a process for return to clinical practice.
- Conditions of continued practice.
- Protecting the confidentiality of health-related information.
Upon completion of this session, participants should be able to:
- Identify steps to take to address health issues that pose an immediate threat to patient safety;
- Identify key elements that need to be addressed in order for a practitioner to return to practice safely after a health issue; and
- Develop processes that protect the confidentiality of sensitive health information.
Instructions on how to obtain your Continuing Education certificate for audio conferences will be e-mailed to the contact person for your organization at the conclusion of this audio conference.
Category 1 CME
Joint Provider Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and HortySpringer Seminars. The University of Pittsburgh is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other health care professionals are awarded 0.1 continuing education units (CEUs), which is equal to 1 contact hour.
NAMSS Continuing Education Credit
This course has been approved for National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) continuing education credit and NAMSS hereby awards 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credits for participation in this activity. Accreditation of this educational content in no way implies endorsement or sponsorship by NAMSS.
HortySpringer Audio Conference Disclaimer
The information presented during an audio conference and any supplementary materials provided to registrants are intended for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing contained therein is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases or circumstances.
No one should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information presented during an audio conference without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer practicing as permitted by applicable laws, regulations or rules of professional conduct. No attorney-client relationship is formed by registration for an audio conference or the use of the supplementary materials.
About Grand Rounds
The Grand Rounds 2021 Audio Conference Series consists of twelve audio conferences spread over the course of the year (one AC/month), with the goal of providing focused, manageable bites of education for Medical Staff leaders and those who support them.
- Each of the 2021 Grand Rounds Series of Audio Conferences is offered the first Tuesday of each month from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).
- Registration includes an MP3 containing the audio conference at no additional charge following each conference.
- CME credit issued for live conference participation.
- Register for the full series of 12 monthly audio conferences. More information on how to register will be provided shortly.
Designed for even the busiest hospital and medical staff leaders, registration for the year-long series is a quick and inexpensive way for Medical Staff Officers, members of the Medical Executive Committee, Department Chairs, Chairs of the Credentials and Peer Review Committees, and the Chairs of other key Medical Staff committees to have access to the most up-to-date health care information at their fingertips while obtaining valuable CME credits as well.
PLEASE NOTE: To help your staff and medical professionals adhere to social distancing guidelines, we will waive the extra line fee for up to 3 additional lines so others in your organization are able to safely listen from their home or office.
Audio Conferences/Grand Rounds Registration: $250 and includes:
- 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™*
- 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credit*
- One MP3 recording to share with your staff throughout the year
- Three phones lines. You may purchase additional lines for $50/line, per audio conference.
Can’t make the live audio conference? No problem! We offer single MP3 recordings for $250/audio conference.
*Not all audio conferences will be approved for continuing medical education credits.