The Complete Course for Medical Staff Leaders
Credentialing, privileging, peer review, managing issues of behavior and health… and that’s just the beginning. Yet, none of this is taught in medical school or residency. So The Complete Course for Medical Staff Leaders is a crash course that will equip you with the essentials to hit the ground running as a new leader!
Together, through interactive real world case studies and role plays, we’ll help you develop your skills and provide practical take-home tips and resources.
Highlights from The Complete Course include:
- Credentialing: A new OB-GYN has been recruited to fill a dire need. He wants to collaborate with midwives, just the right fit to build the program. How great it is that he is moving to the community hospital where his father-in-law has been a long-standing, respected, Medical Staff member! But red flags emerge, revealing some unusual circumstances, and concerns.
- Peer Review: You’ve received reports during the initial FPPE about a new staff member employed by an affiliated group. The Department Chief worked with him and his performance improved, then new problems arose. Now what? Can you share any information with the head of the group? What can be considered in a performance improvement plan? How do you involve the practitioner in the solution?
- Investigations: Most Medical Staff members are competent, caring and professional. Yet a few individuals are bound to develop a concerning pattern. How do you know when to pull the plug on collegial efforts? Investigations are rare — but when you need to do one, how do you conduct a fair investigation?
- Disruptive Conduct: Since Dr. Tori Nado joined the staff, there has been a report about her interpersonal interactions at least every few months. She’s one of the busiest surgeons, and clinically excellent, but controversy seems to whirl around her. How long can you allow her to fly under the radar? Offer her choices!
- Health, Aging, Burnout: Protect patients, help a colleague.
- Suspensions: You don’t use them often, but when you impose a precautionary suspension, it can be a life-changing event for leaders as well as the individual. How can you do this reasonably?
- Bylaws and Managing Change: A Medical Staff Bylaws project can be a time-consuming and arduous task — but it can transform your staff and pave the way for a more efficient and collegial culture. Come to an open Medical Staff meeting and see what steps you can take to prevent your project from being thrown off track at the last minute!
- Social Media: How can physicians and physician leaders utilize social media responsibly? By remembering “First, do no harm!”
- Emergency Call Issues and Solutions: Is there a tougher issue for leaders? What are the options that comply with the law?
- Physician Leaders’ Role in Management and Governance: Physician leaders should be involved in both; what are best practices?
Dates and Locations
Call 1-800-542-8680* to make your Room Reservations now*.
You may book your room online by clicking HERE*.
All seminar meetings will take place at The Ritz-Carlton Beach Resort,
located at 280 Vanderbilt Beach Road in Naples. However, due to an
overwhelming response, HortySpringer’s block of rooms at
The Ritz-Carlton Beach Resort are fully committed at this time.
To help with the demand at the location, we have also secured a block
of rooms at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort which is located four miles
from The Ritz-Carlton Beach Resort. A complimentary shuttle will be
provided between the two resorts.
*Be sure to mention that you're part of the HortySpringer group to get the
discounted room rate of $509 per night. This room rate discount is available
through December 30, 2019 or until the room block is sold out (whichever
Call 1-888-236-2427 or 1-912-201-2000 to make your room reservations now*.
*Be sure to mention that you're part of the HortySpringer group to get the discounted room rate of $270 + $30 resort fee. This room rate discount is
available through February 11, 2020 or until the room block is sold out
(whichever comes first).
Call 1-312-245-4728 to make your room reservations now*.
*Be sure to mention that you're part of the HortySpringer group to get the
discounted room rate of $279. This room rate discount is available through
April 1, 2020 or until the room block is sold out (whichever comes first).
Day 1 — A Day in the Life of a New Department Chief and the Credentials Committee
Challenges of Leadership —
Patient Safety Starts with YOU!
Tips for Effective Credentialing —
Initial Appointment Case Study
- Align recruitment and credentialing
- Catch issues up front!
- Threshold criteria — raising the bar
- Don’t process incomplete applications!
- When it comes to references, follow the Golden Rule
- An educational opportunity!
- Low/no-volume practitioners
- Conditional reappointment
Privileging Decisions Matter!
- Developing criteria for new procedures and procedures that cross specialty lines
- Privileging Advanced Practice Clinicians (APCs)
- Practitioner reentry
The Peer Review Challenge
- Understanding OPPE and FPPE: How to make it work!
Day 2 — Solving Problems
Addressing a Quality Concern — Case Study
- Performance Improvement Plans for physicians and APCs
- Can information be shared with an affiliated group that employs practitioners?
How to Deal with Disruptive Behavior that Undermines a Culture of Safety
- Collegial intervention role play
- Progressive steps for professionalism
Sexual Harassment — You Be the Judge!
Practitioner Health and Aging
- Know the warning signs
- Options to address the late-career practitioner
Investigations — Case Study
- Who should investigate?
- Should lawyers be involved?
- Take home tips
Day 3 — MEC Meeting
Credentials Committee Report (consent agenda)
Leadership Council Report
- Status Report — Suspension
- NPDB Reporting Policy
Report of ED Call Task Force
Report of Bylaws Work Group
Report on Proposed New Policy on Social Media
Report of Succession Planning/Leadership Academy Work Group
Take-Home Checklist — Key points for Bylaws and Policies to Implement Best Practices
Who Should Attend?
Bring a team comprised of the following:
- Medical Staff Officers
- Department Chiefs
- Credentials Committee Members
- MEC Members
- Bylaws Committee Members
- VPMAs, CMOs, and Medical Directors
- Medical Staff Services Professionals
- Quality/Performance Improvement Directors
- Hospital Management
- Hospital Counsel
Participation by all individuals is encouraged. Please notify us at least two weeks in advance of the program as advance notification of any special needs will help us provide better service.
This program is designed for physicians who serve in Medical staff leadership positions in hospitals.
Upon completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- identify common credentialing issues and develop best practices relating to initial appointment, reappointment, and clinical privileges;
- identify and manage the variety of peer review issues that confront them in their roles as physician leaders; and
- define the legal responsibilities of Medical Staff leaders and the legal protections available to them.
Continuing Education Credit
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by the University of Pittsburgh and HortySpringer Seminars. The University of Pittsburgh is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
This activity is approved for the following credit: AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Other health care professionals will receive a certificate of attendance confirming the number of contact hours commensurate with the extent of participation in this activity.
The University of Pittsburgh designates this live activity for a maximum of 11.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Category 1 CME Credit
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 11.25 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other healthcare professionals are awarded 1.125 continuing education units (CEU’s) which are equal to 11.25 contact hours.
This course has been approved for National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) for up to 11 hours of continuing education credit(s). Accreditation of this educational content in no way implies endorsement or sponsorship by NAMSS.
Presenter Disclosure Statement
In accordance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education requirements on disclosure, information about relationships of presenters with commercial interests (if any) will be included in materials distributed at the time of the conference.
Feedback from past attendees of The Complete Course for Medical Staff Leaders:
- “Presentations were well done. The subjects were handled in a very interesting way and I enjoyed the humor as well!” — General Counsel @ Chicago
- “This was an excellent seminar. The material was appropriate and the presenters were outstanding! Most professional and interesting presentations that I have ever seen at a conference. My attention was held — and the discussions topics were very relevant. This was an inspiring course which challenged me to step up to a new level as med staff president of a medium sized community hospital.” — Medical Staff President @ Chicago
- “All 3 of the presenters were great teachers and very engaging. I really enjoyed the conference!” — Physician @ Chicago
- “This was a very well-produced series of presentations by experts in the field. It was a pleasure to learn from them.”
- “This was one of the best professional presentations I’ve attended. Great balance of conceptual and factual material, engagingly presented.”
- “Any and every physician leader should undergo this course.”
- “As the new Chief of Surgery, this was an excellent first start.”
- “This is my second time attending. I’ve never been disappointed, always leave feeling like I’ve learned a lot!”
- “Excellent Information. It motivates me to go home and make things happen. I feel more prepared.”
- “Super course; super location!”
- “Wonderful! Informative, yet entertaining.”
- “Very good! AM meeting, PM free… Great Format!”
- “I loved the role playing. Very nice integration of PowerPoint, audio & theater.”
- “I am very new to physician leadership and I found the information presented to be extremely helpful. It gave me a broad introduction and a good understanding of the topics presented.”
- “Wonderful conference; best I have ever been to. The presenters were so engaging. I just loved it!”
HortySpringer Seminar Disclaimer Statement:
The information presented at these seminars and the supplementary materials provided to registrants are intended for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing contained therein is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases or circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information presented at these seminars without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer practicing as permitted by applicable laws, regulations or rules of professional conduct. No attorney-client relationship is formed by registration for any seminar or the use of the seminar materials.
$4,950 for a team of four
$1,195 for each additional registrant (after a team of four registration)
We design our programs with a team fee because we found that it usually requires at least three or four Board members or physician leaders to implement changes or to move forward on any particular matter.
You can send a team of four to one seminar in one location, or you can register at multiple locations and for multiple programs.
Included With Registration Fee
- Online Access to slide text, forms, letters, procedures, suggestions for policy elements and more.
All registrants are responsible for making their own hotel reservations. Special group room rates have been established for HortySpringer registrants. The special group rate rooms are available until 30 days from the seminar date, or until the room block sells out, whichever comes first. Within 30 days of the program, you may not be able to get rooms or receive the special rate.
Seminar cancellations/refunds are subject to a $100 processing fee.