HortySpringer specializes in all aspects of physician/hospital/system relationships. A program can be designed to meet your needs around any of those issues, including:
Legal Principles and Protections for Medical Staff Leaders
- Legal and practical protections
- Steps to qualify for immunity
- Protections for patients
- Creating and protecting the record
Tips on Effective Credentialing
- Threshold criteria — raising the credentialing bar
- Incomplete applications
- Aligning recruitment and credentialing
- Giving and getting references
- Low-volume/no-volume practitioners
- Conditional reappointment
- Privileges that cross specialty lines
- Privileges for new procedures
- Privileging for advanced practice clinicians
- Privileging for telemedicine
Peer Review Continuum
- FPPE and OPPE
- Avoiding traditional and ineffective review elements
- Core recommendations for an effective process
- Efficient, effective and constructive best practices
- Keeping the physician in the loop
- Who should do it? How far can you go?
- Tips, tools and implementation
Conducting Effective Investigations
- Initiating investigations
- Use of investigation checklist
- Use of outside experts
- Recognizing and managing conflicts of interest
- When to use suspension — and when not to
- Identifying non-suspension options
- Reporting suspension
Dealing with Behavior That May Undermine a Culture of Safety
- Steps to take and missteps to avoid
- Anticipating a self-proclaimed “whistleblower”
- Understanding the organization’s legal duty
- What about discrimination, harassment and retaliation?
- What constitutes sexual harassment and how should it be addressed?
Attracting and Preparing Medical Staff Leaders
- Culture does matter
- Leadership orientation program is a priority
- Grooming through mentoring and succession planning
Practitioner Health and Wellness Issues
- Is collegial intervention an option?
- Progressive steps and accommodations
- Practitioner Health Policy
- Realities concerning aging practitioners
- Reinstatement: a delicate balance
National Practitioner Data Bank
- What is and is not reportable?
- Best tips for drafting a report
- Employment actions and reports to the NPDB
- Determining and reporting “surrenders”
Managing Conflicts of Interest
- Competing economic interests
- Does employment create an absolute conflict?
- Identifying and managing common conflicts
ER Call & EMTALA
- EMTALA hot spots
- Dealing with difficult on-call issues
- Role of advanced practice clinicians
- Selective resignation of limited privileges
Medical Staff Bylaws
- New staff categories for a new era
- Strengthening appointment criteria
- A fresh look at attendance, voting and quorum requirements
- How many committees are too many?
- Designing a manageable and fair hearing process
HIPAA & Social Media
- Should HIPAA breaches be handled differently for hospital employees and members of the medical staff?
- Education to minimize risk
Confidentiality/Documentation/Access to Files
- Policies and agreements
- What should be in minutes?
- Confidentiality in the electronic age
- Physician access to information
- Acceptable pre-employment communications
- Is credentialing an HR or medical staff responsibility?
- Criminal background checks
- Employment of APCs
- FPPE, OPPE and collegial intervention
- Termination vs. revocation of employment
Patient Safety Organizations (“PSO”)
- What is a PSO?
- Why participate in a PSO?
- PSO mandate under the ACA
- How PSOs can — and cannot — help with peer review protections
- Managing confidentiality and privilege protections
If there are topics not listed that you would like us to cover, we’re happy to work with you to customize a program to specifically address your needs.