August 2021 Grand Rounds —
Effectively Evaluating Malpractice Actions and Other “Red Flags” in the Credentialing Process…Is it Time to Establish Written Guidance on Both?
August 3, 2021 - 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (ET)
Credentialing is the absolute foundation for quality and patient safety – as well as for establishing Medical Staff cultures where performance issues are the exception and not the rule. We at HortySpringer are constantly partnering with our Medical Staff Professional and Medical Staff leader friends to push the envelope and improve the sophistication of the credentialing process.
Two trends have emerged that are raising the bar for those performing this most important work:
- Identifying and formalizing the most common applicant “red flags” to be aware of in the credentialing process; and
- Developing a focused policy on how to evaluate the radioactive issue of malpractice actions and settlements, which has caused consternation for many Medical Staffs and their Boards for years.
Join Paul Verardi as he discusses the benefits of these trends, most notably, that they provide education and sophistication for all credentialers, improve consistency and standardize how these issues are addressed, and even minimize legal risks. Paul will also discuss specific examples of what various Medical Staffs have developed…or are in the process of developing…and how they are being utilized.
Interpretation of Medical Malpractice Payment Information, National Practitioner Data Bank Guidebook (October 2018) https://www.npdb.hrsa.gov/guidebook/EMMPR.jsp#InterpretationMMPR
The Ideal Credentialing Standards: Best Practice Criteria and Protocol for Hospitals, NAMSS Roundtable Credentialing Best Practice Criteria White Paper (February 2014)
Upon completion of this audio conference, participants should be able to:
- Understand and describe the differences between “threshold eligibility criteria” and applicant “red flags” in the credentialing process;
- Develop and adopt written guidance on applicant “red flags” to then be utilized by those involved in the credentialing process; and
- Develop and adopt a focused policy on how to better evaluate the difficult issue of assessing malpractice judgments and settlements for applicants seeking to join the Medical Staff.
Instructions on how to obtain your Continuing Education certificate for audio conferences will be e-mailed to the contact person for your organization at the conclusion of this audio conference.
Category 1 CME
Joint Provider Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and HortySpringer Seminars. The University of Pittsburgh is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other health care professionals are awarded 0.1 continuing education units (CEUs), which is equal to 1 contact hour.
NAMSS Continuing Education Credit
This course has been approved for National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) continuing education credit and NAMSS hereby awards 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credits for participation in this activity. Accreditation of this educational content in no way implies endorsement or sponsorship by NAMSS.
HortySpringer Audio Conference Disclaimer
The information presented during an audio conference and any supplementary materials provided to registrants are intended for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing contained therein is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases or circumstances.
No one should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information presented during an audio conference without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer practicing as permitted by applicable laws, regulations or rules of professional conduct. No attorney-client relationship is formed by registration for an audio conference or the use of the supplementary materials.
About Grand Rounds
The Grand Rounds 2021 Audio Conference Series consists of twelve audio conferences spread over the course of the year, with the goal of providing focused, manageable bites of education for Medical Staff leaders and those who support them.
- Each of the 2021 Grand Rounds Series of Audio Conferences is offered the first Tuesday of each month from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).
- Registration includes an MP3 containing the audio conference at no additional charge following each conference.
- CME credit issued for live conference participation.
- Register for the full series of 12 monthly audio conferences. More information on how to register will be provided shortly.
* Registration fee includes up to three phone lines; you may add two additional lines to your order for $50 each line (per audio conference).
Designed for even the busiest hospital and medical staff leaders, registration for the year-long series is a quick and inexpensive way for Medical Staff Officers, members of the Medical Executive Committee, Department Chairs, Chairs of the Credentials and Peer Review Committees, and the Chairs of other key Medical Staff committees to have access to the most up-to-date health care information at their fingertips while obtaining valuable CME credits as well.
PLEASE NOTE: To help your staff and medical professionals adhere to social distancing guidelines, we will waive the extra line fee for up to 3 additional lines so others in your organization are able to safely listen from their home or office.
Audio Conferences/Grand Rounds Registration: $250 and includes:
- 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™*
- 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credit*
- One MP3 recording to share with your staff throughout the year
- Three phones lines. You may purchase additional lines for $50/line, per audio conference.
Can’t make the live audio conference? No problem! We offer single MP3 recordings for $250/audio conference.
*Not all audio conferences will be approved for continuing medical education credits.