Medical Staff Bylaws — Session 4 Automatic Relinquishment, Suspensions & Investigations
April 4, 2017 - 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (ET)
Join us: A key to excellent leadership is excellent learning!
Designed to be informative for any Medical Staff member, 2017’s Grand Rounds should be particularly helpful for Medical Staff Leadership: Medical Staff Officers, members of the Medical Executive Committee, Department Chairs, Chairs of the Credentials and Peer Review Committees, and the Chairs of other key Medical Staff committees.
If you have new members in any of these important positions, this is a not-to-be-missed opportunity for direct education that we guarantee will be helpful to them in their new roles.
If collegial intervention does not resolve concerns, several other options are available to Medical Staff leaders.
Perhaps the issue can be addressed through an automatic relinquishment of appointment and clinical privileges. Or the issues might be serious enough to warrant the imposition of an immediate precautionary suspension. Or the pattern or trend of concerns might not be resolved informally and may require a more formal investigation.
All of these actions have legal and patient care consequences so the process must be well designed and clearly articulated in Bylaws. Good Bylaws language is the best way to assure that leaders follow a process that is fair to the practitioner, puts patient care and safety first, and fulfills all legal requirements.
Listen live on April 4, 2017. Or purchase the recording (mp3 or CD) of this audio conference to share with Medical Staff members at an upcoming meeting or throughout the year.
Audio conference registration (includes MP3): $250/line
(Additional lines are $50 extra, limit 2 additional lines. Please call us to set up additional lines.)
Audio CD or MP3 only: $250
Click here for a registration form to print and fax to us at 412.687.7692.
This audio conference is part of our Grand Rounds series. Order the entire series and receive a discounted rate.
- Automatic relinquishment for:
- failure to satisfy threshold criteria
- failure to attend a mandatory meeting
- failure to submit to an evaluation or otherwise provide information
- Reinstatement after automatic relinquishment
- Precautionary suspension review procedures
- Commencement of formal investigation (Should the Bylaws address reporting surrenders to the NPDB?)
- Appointing an investigating committee
- Notification to practitioner of commencement of investigation
- Should interviews conducted during investigations be recorded?
- Practitioner opportunity for input
- Investigating committee report
Upon completion of this audio conference, participants should be able to:
- draft automatic relinquishment provisions that address objective factors that automatically result in relinquishment of appointment and privileges, avoiding unnecessary suspensions;
- draft precautionary suspension provisions in a manner that complies with the Health Care Quality Improvement Act; and
- draft Bylaws that guide medical staff leaders through a thorough and fair formal investigation.
Instructions on how to obtain your Continuing Education certificate for audio conferences will be e-mailed to the contact person for your organization at the conclusion of each audio conference.
Category 1 CME
Joint Provider Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and HortySpringer Seminars. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other health care professionals are awarded 0.1 continuing education units (CEUs), which is equal to 1 contact hour.
NAMSS Continuing Education Credit
This course has been approved for National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) continuing education credit and NAMSS hereby awards 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credits for participation in this activity. Accreditation of this educational content in no way implies endorsement or sponsorship by NAMSS.
Mix and Match: $250 for each individual Grand Rounds audio conference.
Audio Conference Registration: $1,850/line for all twelve 2017 monthly Grand Rounds (includes BONUS Session entitled Guide to Drafting and Adopting Medical Staff Bylaws, Policies and Rules & Regulations, recorded on December 13, 2016).
Audio Conference & MP3: $1,850 for all 2017 monthly Grand Rounds (Participation and MP3).
CD Only: $1,850 for all 2017 monthly Grand Round recordings.
MP3 Only: $1,850 for all 2017 monthly Grand Round recordings.