Hot Topics: Vaccination, Marijuana & Opioids
October 3, 2017 - 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (ET)
Join us: A key to excellent leadership is excellent learning!
Designed to be informative for any Medical Staff member, 2017’s Grand Rounds should be particularly helpful for Medical Staff Leadership: Medical Staff Officers, members of the Medical Executive Committee, Department Chairs, Chairs of the Credentials and Peer Review Committees, and the Chairs of other key Medical Staff committees.
If you have new members in any of these important positions, this is a not-to-be-missed opportunity for direct education that we guarantee will be helpful to them in their new roles.
Vaccinations, marijuana and opioids raise a variety of difficult issues for physician leaders and hospitals:
- CMS requires hospitals to report vaccination rates for health care workers. What happens if a physician refuses? Can the hospital allow medical, religious and any other exemptions from vaccination?
- In a state in which recreational use of marijuana is legal, can the hospital “just say no” and prohibit marijuana use (even outside the hospital) by Medical Staff members? What happens if an applicant for initial privileges tests positive?
- Should the peer review or physician health process be used if quality or behavioral issues are believed to be linked to the physician’s marijuana use?
- For patients who have their own medical marijuana dispensed legally, should they be allowed to bring the marijuana into the Hospital for its continued usage?
- What can physician leaders and hospitals do to address the opioid crisis?
These questions and more will be discussed in this Hot Topics Grand Rounds audio conference.
Listen live on October 3, 2017. Or, purchase the recording (mp3 or CD) of this audio conference to share with Medical Staff members at an upcoming meeting or throughout the year.
Audio conference registration (includes MP3): $250/line
(Additional lines are $50 extra, limit 2 additional lines. Please call us to set up additional lines.)
Audio CD or MP3 only: $250
Click here for a registration form to print and fax to us at 412.687.7692.
This audio conference is part of our Grand Rounds series. Order the entire series and receive a discounted rate.
- Ethical and legal concerns posed by mandatory vaccination for medical staff members and other providers, including the scope of medical and religious exemptions from vaccination
- Recent changes in legal standards on medical and recreational use of marijuana and how to cope with them
- The ongoing opioid addiction crisis and how it affects hospitals and medical staffs
Upon completion of this audio conference, participants should be able to:
- identify key issues in drafting a legally compliant vaccination policy for members of the medical staff;
- describe and implement strategies for responding to changing legal standards on marijuana use; and
- discuss the roles of hospitals and physicians in the opioid epidemic.
Instructions on how to obtain your Continuing Education certificate for audio conferences will be e-mailed to the contact person for your organization at the conclusion of each audio conference.
Category 1 CME
Joint Provider Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and HortySpringer Seminars. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Other health care professionals are awarded 0.1 continuing education units (CEUs), which is equal to 1 contact hour.
NAMSS Continuing Education Credit
This course has been approved for National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) continuing education credit and NAMSS hereby awards 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credits for participation in this activity. Accreditation of this educational content in no way implies endorsement or sponsorship by NAMSS.
Mix and Match: $250 for each individual Grand Rounds audio conference.
Audio Conference Registration: $1,850/line for all twelve 2017 monthly Grand Rounds (includes BONUS Session entitled Guide to Drafting and Adopting Medical Staff Bylaws, Policies and Rules & Regulations, recorded on December 13, 2016).
Audio Conference & MP3: $1,850 for all 2017 monthly Grand Rounds (Participation and MP3).
CD Only: $1,850 for all 2017 monthly Grand Round recordings.
MP3 Only: $1,850 for all 2017 monthly Grand Round recordings.