Internet Explorer 8 struggles to open Microsoft Word 2010 files (those that have a .DOCX file extension). If you’re using IE8 and attempt to open documents in DOCX format, IE may try to open it as an XML file, resulting in a screen full of code like this:
There are four potential workarounds for this:
- Use a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari)
- Manually type in the correct file extension when you save the document
- Save the file to your computer, and then once saved, rename the file so that it ends in “.docx” instead of “.zip” ie, change file name from “Letter.zip” to “Letter.docx”
- Change this setting in IE
- Right click the document you want to save, and choose “Save Target As.”
- Change the file type to “All Files.” And, change the file extension at the end of the file name so it ends in “.DOCX” This will trick your computer into saving the document as a Word file.
Please call us at 800-245-1205 if you would like assistance.