January’s Grand Rounds: Back to the Basics – The First 31 Days in Office
January 24, 2023 - 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (ET)
Early efforts can help you to make the most of your leadership term. If you’ve recently assumed a new role, the first 31 days can be vital. Topics to be covered during this installment of Grand Rounds include:
- Which Hospital and Medical Staff policies should you read, front to back, to prepare for this role?
- Identifying internal resources that are available to you throughout your leadership term (and understanding when you can – or should – call on them)
- What can you learn from your MSSP?
- Did your leadership positions come with a “welcome letter”? Learn what should be included in such a letter – and why tenured leaders tell us they like them so much
- How to set and stick to an agenda
- Running a meeting that does not waste people’s time
- Keeping meeting minutes
- Authority and accountability for follow-up between meetings
- Reaching out to your constituents (e.g. keeping key Medical Staff members informed and involved in the leadership’s activities through routine communication)
Upon completion of this audio conference, participants should be able to:
- Identify how physician leaders can prepare for Medical Staff leadership roles in a hospital, not just through prior experience, but also through leadership training and identification of and familiarity with key documents and resources.
- Describe the legal protections available to physician leaders who participate in credentialing, peer review, and other Medical Staff activities
- Detail the steps to planning an efficient and effective meeting – and for documenting the activities of a committee
- Identify where important information about legal protections and duties can be located in organizational documents.
Instructions on how to obtain your Continuing Education certificate for audio conferences will be e-mailed to the contact person for your organization at the conclusion of this audio conference.
Category 1 CME
Joint Provider Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and HortySpringer Seminars. The University of Pittsburgh is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NAMSS Continuing Education Credit
This course has been approved for National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) continuing education credit and NAMSS hereby awards 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credits for participation in this activity. Accreditation of this educational content in no way implies endorsement or sponsorship by NAMSS.
About Grand Rounds
Designed for even the busiest hospital and medical staff leaders, registration for the year-long series is a quick and inexpensive way for Medical Staff Officers, members of the Medical Executive Committee, Department Chairs, Chairs of the Credentials and Peer Review Committees, and the Chairs of other key Medical Staff committees to have access to the most up-to-date health care information at their fingertips while obtaining valuable CME credits as well.
- The audio conference series consists of twelve audio conferences spread over the course of the year (one AC/month)
- Each audio conference is offered the first Tuesday of each month from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).
- Registration includes an MP3 containing the audio conference at no additional charge following each conference.
- CME credit issued for live conference participation only.
HortySpringer Audio Conference Disclaimer
The information presented during an audio conference and any supplementary materials provided to registrants are intended for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing contained therein is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases or circumstances.
No one should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information presented during an audio conference without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer practicing as permitted by applicable laws, regulations or rules of professional conduct. No attorney-client relationship is formed by registration for an audio conference or the use of the supplementary materials.
Audio Conferences/Grand Rounds Registration: $250 and includes:
- 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™*
- 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credit*
- One MP3 recording to share with your staff throughout the year.
- Three phones lines. You may purchase additional lines for $50/line, per audio conference.
Can’t make the live audio conference? No problem! We offer single MP3 recordings for $250/each (Separate MP3 purchase does not qualify for CME credits. CMEs will only be given for live participation the day of the AC).
*Not all audio conferences will be approved for continuing medical education credits.