June Grand Rounds – Fast Forward to the Future: Advanced Practice Professionals (APPs) – To Infinity and Beyond!
June 6, 2023 - 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm (ET)
While the supply of physicians is diminishing, the demand for medical services is increasing and the physicians who remain in practice are overburdened. Advanced Practice Professionals (“APPs”) such as Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners can be the key to filling the gap for hospitals by taking on expanded roles and responsibilities. Many states have turned to APPs as a solution to hospital and private practice staffing by expanding their scope of practice to include explicit permission to practice independently after a designated period of supervision and to perform certain procedures that weren’t previously in their scope of practice. The areas of practice for APPs have also expanded greatly moving from primary care to almost every specialty in medicine. Along with this evolution, there continue to be many questions about how to reasonably and responsibly integrate APPs into the delivery of care in hospitals and into the functions of the Medical Staff.
During this audioconference we will discuss a variety of privileging and peer review issues with respect to APPs, including how to confirm clinical competence when APPs change their area of practice and supervision and collaboration. We also cover several ancillary topics on APPs, including those related to EMTALA and liability. In addition, we will explore options to integrate APPs into the Medical Staff functions.
- If your state is considering allowing APPs to practice independently, what does that mean for your hospital?
- APP utilization within the acute care hospital: EMTALA, on-call, rounding and progress notes, countersignatures, and more!
- APPs are specializing – and switching specialties – at an increasing rate. How can hospitals address these credentialing challenges? Is “on the job training” a sufficient method for verifying current clinical competence for privileging purposes?
- Role of the supervising/collaborating physician.
- Incorporating APPs in the Medical Staff functions.
Upon completion of this audio conference, participants should be able to:
1. Identify which categories of practitioners must be granted clinical privileges and the implications of granting clinical privileges.
2. Make appropriate and lawful policy determinations regarding the appropriate scope of duties and level of supervision/collaboration for APPs providing services at the hospital.
3. Identify how education, training, and experience requirements should be outlined in each clinical privilege delineation for privileges available to APPs.
Instructions on how to obtain your Continuing Education certificate for audio conferences will be e-mailed to the contact person for your organization at the conclusion of this audio conference.
Category 1 CME
Joint Provider Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and HortySpringer Seminars. The University of Pittsburgh is an affirmative action, equal opportunity institution. The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NAMSS Continuing Education Credit
This course has been approved for National Association of Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) continuing education credit and NAMSS hereby awards 1.0 NAMSS continuing education credits for participation in this activity. Accreditation of this educational content in no way implies endorsement or sponsorship by NAMSS.
About Grand Rounds
Designed for even the busiest hospital and medical staff leaders, registration for the year-long series is a quick and inexpensive way for Medical Staff Officers, members of the Medical Executive Committee, Department Chairs, Chairs of the Credentials and Peer Review Committees, and the Chairs of other key Medical Staff committees to have access to the most up-to-date health care information at their fingertips while obtaining valuable CME credits as well.
- The audio conference series consists of twelve audio conferences spread over the course of the year (one AC/month)
- Each audio conference is offered the first Tuesday of each month from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).
- Registration includes an MP3 containing the audio conference at no additional charge following each conference.
- CME credit issued for live conference participation only.
HortySpringer Audio Conference Disclaimer
The information presented during an audio conference and any supplementary materials provided to registrants are intended for educational and informational purposes only. Nothing contained therein is to be considered as the rendering of legal advice for specific cases or circumstances.
No one should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information presented during an audio conference without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer practicing as permitted by applicable laws, regulations or rules of professional conduct. No attorney-client relationship is formed by registration for an audio conference or the use of the supplementary materials.
Audio Conferences/Grand Rounds Registration: $250 and includes:
1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™*
1.0 NAMSS continuing education credit*
One MP3 recording to share with your staff throughout the year.
Three additional phones lines. You may purchase additional lines for $50/line, per audio conference.
Can’t make the live audio conference? No problem! We offer single MP3 recordings for $250/each (Separate MP3 purchase does not qualify for CME credits. CMEs will only be given for live participation the day of the AC).
Want the entire 2023 Grand Rounds AC Series?
If you would like to purchase the entire 2023 Grand Rounds audio conference series, we’re happy to offer you a special rate of $1,850 to include all 12 episodes (one per month). Please contact our office for more information.
*Not all audio conferences will be approved for continuing medical education credits.